Our leadership team and teacher representatives continue to meet with Joe Truss, our culturally responsible leadership consultant , to support our strategic goals. On January 4th, 2021 our entire staff attended a day-long workshop with Joe Truss and Jennifer Benkovitz. Our outcome goals included:
1) Make White Supremacy Culture and and Patriarchy more visible in the TEA community (among staff, in school, and with families/community)
2) Identify common barriers to antiracist work such as white fragility, culture of fear and male solidarity
3) Take time to reflect, learn, and work from the inside out
4) Become more skilled at identifying racist practices and skilled at taking action
5) Build shared commitment towards an antiracist vision
Identify resources for deepening our consciousness and changing practices
This workshop was a small part of our ongoing work to create a more just, equitable and antiracist environment at TEA. While we will continue to work with Joe and Jennifer, the purpose of the consolation was to help TEA create a long-term roadmap to our goals.